READ IT HERE:
- KHI Testimony to the Kansas Legislature*
- Full Report (152 pages)** — Report of the Special Committee on Kansas Mental Health Modernization and Reform to the 2021 Kansas Legislature (January 2021)
- Report Overview of Strategic Framework (13 pages) — Included in the full report, this overview describes the recommendations that make up the strategic framework for modernizing the Kansas behavioral health system.
- High Priority Items List (3 pages) — Included in the full report, this table sorts the recommendations by topic and categorizes them for immediate action, strategic importance or discussion.
The Special Committee on Mental Health Modernization and Reform (Special Committee) was tasked with analyzing the state’s behavioral health system and developing a strategic effort to modernize it.
To achieve this directive, the Special Committee established three Working Groups to review and update recommendations from five previous collaborative efforts: the Child Welfare System Task Force, the Governor’s Behavioral Health Services Planning Council, the Governor’s Substance Use Disorder Task Force, the Mental Health Task Force and the Crossover Youth Working Groups.
In collaboration with KLRD and the Kansas Office of Revisor of Statutes, the Kansas Health Institute provided process facilitation and report development for the Working Groups of the Special Committee.
- *KHI provided similar testimony to the following committees: House Health and Human Services (January 19-20, 2021), Senate Public Health and Welfare (January 26-27, 2021) and House Appropriations (February 9, 2021).
- **This link leads to the Kansas Legislative Research Department website.
The Kansas Health Institute supports effective policymaking through nonpartisan research, education and engagement. KHI believes evidence-based information, objective analysis and civil dialogue enable policy leaders to be champions for a healthier Kansas. Established in 1995 with a multiyear grant from the Kansas Health Foundation, KHI is a nonprofit, nonpartisan educational organization based in Topeka.