READ IT HERE:
- Uninsured Rate Among Nonelderly Adults Varies by Region in Kansas (October 2019)
- Data in Excel Format: Kansas Adults Age 19-64: Uninsured Rate and Number by County, 2017 (October 2019)
OTHER FACT SHEETS IN THE SERIES:
- Western Counties Have Highest Uninsured Rate for Kids
- 25,000 Uninsured, KanCare-Eligible Children: Where Are They?
While Kansas has made strides in reducing the uninsured rate among nonelderly adults age 19-64, gains in health insurance coverage have stalled in recent years. In 2017, the overall uninsured rate among Kansas nonelderly adults remained unchanged from the previous year at 12.3 percent (205,324 Kansans).
This fact sheet, the first of a three-part series examining the geographic variation in health insurance coverage for Kansans, looks at the county-specific uninsured rate among Kansas nonelderly adults in 2017 — the most recent year for which county-level data are available — and regional changes in the uninsured rate from 2009 to 2017.
Key points include:
- There was more than a three-fold difference between Kansas counties with the highest and lowest uninsured rate among nonelderly adults in 2017: 27.2 percent in Hamilton County and 8.2 percent in Leavenworth County.
- While most counties with the highest uninsured rates were in the southwest region of the state, Wyandotte County in northeast Kansas also had one of the highest rates (20.1 percent).
- The southwest region of Kansas had a consistently higher uninsured rate than other regions in Kansas from 2009 to 2017.
- Between 2013 and 2016, there was a significant decrease in the uninsured rate among nonelderly adults in each region. However, the uninsured rate in all regions has flattened out since 2016.
The Kansas Health Institute supports effective policymaking through nonpartisan research, education and engagement. KHI believes evidence-based information, objective analysis and civil dialogue enable policy leaders to be champions for a healthier Kansas. Established in 1995 with a multiyear grant from the Kansas Health Foundation, KHI is a nonprofit, nonpartisan educational organization based in Topeka.