On August 29, 2017, Andrew Kolodny, M.D., presented a keynote about the national trends in the opioid crisis to nearly 80 attendees at the KHI symposium entitled The Opioid Crisis: What's Happening in Kansas? The event featured robust discussions among two panel groups:
Prescribing and Treatment:
- Joe Davison, M.D., West Wichita Family Physicians
- Bob Twillman, Ph.D., FAPM, Academy of Integrative Pain Management
- Jody Reel, Pharm.D., Kansas Pharmacists Association
- Sandra Dixon, L.M.S.W., DCCCA, Inc.
- Pat George, Valley Hope Association
- Kenneth Mishler, Pharm.D., M.B.A., Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Kansas
Law Enforcement and Regulation:
- Alexandra Blasi, J.D., M.B.A., Kansas Board of Pharmacy
- Lori Haskett, Kansas Department of Health & Environment
- Kimberly Reynolds, Kansas Department for Aging and Disability Services
- Sharon Brigner, R.N., PhRMA
- Ed Klumpp, Kansas Association of Chiefs of Police
- Tim Eldredge, Butler County Sheriff's Office
The Kansas Health Institute delivers credible information and research enabling policy leaders to make informed health policy decisions that enhance their effectiveness as champions for a healthier Kansas. The Kansas Health Institute is a nonprofit, nonpartisan health policy and research organization based in Topeka, established in 1995 with a multiyear grant from the Kansas Health Foundation.