- Policy & Research
- About KHI
May 23, 2011
TOPEKA The Kansas Department of Social and Rehabilitation Services has released a list of healthy marriage advocates it invited to a closed-door, brain-storming session last month with Gov. Sam Brownback.
The department reported that it paid the invitees’ travel expenses, which were $11,464.
The list was released in response to an open records request filed by the Kansas Democratic Party. Brownback is Republican.
Those who attended the meeting, according to SRS, were:
• Joyce Webb of the Kansas Healthy Marriage Institute, Wichita
• Dan Lord, Friends University, Wichita
• Ron Nichols, National Center for Fathering, Overland Park
• Wade Horn, Deloitte Consulting, Laytonsville, Md.
• Linda Malone-Colon, National Center for African American Marriages and Parenting, Hampton, Va.
• Chuck Donovan, Heritage Foundation, Washington, D.C.
• Bill Doherty, University of Minnesota, St. Paul, Minn.
• Jeff Kemp, Stronger Families, Redmond, Wash.
• Christelyn Karazin, No Wedding No Womb, Temecula, Calif.
• Chuck Stokes, University of Texas, Austin.
• Alan Hawkins, Brigham Young University, Provo, Utah
• Randy Hicks, Georgia Family Council, Norcross, Ga.
• Mike McManus, Marriage Savers, Potomac, Md.
• Maggie Gallagher, Institute for Marriage and Public Policy, Manassas, Va.
• Helen Alvare, Institute for American Values, Arlington, Va.
• David Lapp, Institute for American Values, N.Y.
• David Blankenhorn, Institute for American Values, N.Y.
• Elizabeth Marquardt, Institute for American Values, Highland Park,Ill.
• Alana Stewart, Institute for American Values, Brooklyn, N.Y.
• Barbara Dafoe Whitehead, Institute for American Values, Amherst, Mass.
Brownback and SRS Secretary Rob Siedlecki met with the group April 7 at the SRS Learning Center in Topeka.
The governor has expressed strong support for SRS developing faith-based initiatives that promote marriage and fatherhood. Siedlecki has said he intends to do both.
Last month, SRS created a division for promoting faith-based and community initiatives.